Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Friday, August 2, 2013

Redoing My Display Case

I have done a few posts in the past regarding my display case.  A few years back I got a small display case from Ikea.  My goal was to fill it with small flies, boxes, reels, and other fly fishing related things that either caught my eye or meant something to me.  I picked up some drift wood while I was out and about on the water at some point.  Using that drift wood, I broke it into thirds and drilled some small holes into it.  These holes allowed me to place the flies neatly in them without damaging the hook point.  All my flies on the drift wood mean something to me.  Some are tied by famous people in the industry, some by me, some by friends, a few have landed big fish, a few are older poppers and still a few were tied by Melissa.  I have a soft spot for poppers.  It is what we specialize in and therefore I like to collect them.  I managed to pick up most of the older style poppers from eBay.  I would like to get more but it could be a slippery slope.  Besides as you can see I might be out of room.  I placed some reels on the bottom shelf.  These are reels I have used since I started fly fishing.  Most of them are Cortland with a few Cabelas mixed in.  I know they aren't what some might call "good" or even "great" reels but they are mine.  I have often wondered just how many fish I have caught on some of them.  I also have a bobbin from the early 1940's and a few extra spools for thread.  Nothing extraordinary but certainly a conversation piece.  Interesting to see the difference between the then and now bobbins.  So who else has a display case?  If you don't have one, what do you do with your keepsakes?  How do you display them?











2 comments:

  1. I just keep stuff on a big shelf, with flies in little containers/display cases labeled. It's not great, but hopefully soon I can get everything together like yourself. Looks Great!!

    And by the way, I see a couple Ronald Braud's! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking collection! I also have a soft spot for tackle... some day (16 yrs away) maybe my Heddon collection will pay for a semester of college.. naw.... I'll never get rid of them. I'm a fishing hoarder for life! Keep it up! I really like the bobbin and hook boxes!

    ReplyDelete