Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Monday, September 17, 2012

Word, Word, Word the Bee is the Word!!!!

On a whim, I ran out of the house yesterday and headed to the river.  The weather was simply perfect here in Maryland.  It was around 75 degrees with a slight breeze and a big beautiful sky.  I quickly checked the log book to see what worked in years past around this time, grabbed my crap and headed out.  I didn't even finish my coffee I was in such a rush.  That has to be a sin of some sort.  I got to the river around 1230 and sent Melissa a text stating that I would be home in time for kickoff at 4.  Yea right!  I tied on an olive and black Road Kill and headed up river.  I wanted to work the big pool first.  I figured I would have a better chance at some larger fish.  I landed a smallie and two panfish at the back end of the pool.  The fishing was slow.  I decided to move to the head of the pool.  I cast out netted me a decent smallie around 12 inches or so.  Again, the fishing proved to be slow.  I decided to switch to the Monocacy Bumble Bee.  I love top water action and I wanted to see some of those explosive strikes.  I wasn't disappointed.  Over the course of the next four hours, I traveled up and down the river nailing fish.  Most of the time they viciously attacked the fly as soon as it landed.  Sometimes I would have to let it dead drift for a bit.  The fishing was outstanding.  I didn't want to leave.  I decided to pack things up after I caught the 50th long ear and head back home.  I was already late for the game and I was sure that Melissa was going to be pissed.  The fishing had been simply smashing.  It was one of those days when everything comes together.  I wasn't rushed, my casting was spot on, the wading was great, the river was low but not too low as well as clear, and I was unstoppable.  It was just one of those perfect days on the water when it all comes together.  I even hooked and landed a fall fish on the Bee.  I was amazed at that one.  They tore that Bee up but it held its own.  Eventually it lost one leg and one eye but it still drove them crazy.  In the end, I landed 50 long ears, 5 bluegill, 4 smallies, 1 warmouth and 1 fall fish.  Epic!

Great color and pattern on this guy 




He didn't want to stay for a photo 







Time to say goodbye and thanks for playing 

Nice fall fish on a Bee 

Looking down the big hole from the top of it 

Looking up the big hole 

Big hole looking up from the tail end of it 

Far bank of the big hole 

Can you see the Bee? 

5 comments:

  1. OK, so maybe coffee isn't your superstition thing since you caught so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      I just hate to waste a good cup of coffee. It is my golden nectar!

      Delete
  2. I wish I had smallies closer to me. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,

    Thanks. Funny I wish I had bigger ones and would catch more of them. They are such a great fighter. Probably my number one fish to catch on the fly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SWEET! I gotta get me some of those bees.

    ReplyDelete