Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Day 2 Fishing the Shenandoah River

While tooling around the park, the family and I found another water access point.  So, later that evening, I returned to it.  The weather had dropped a few degrees over night.  The high for the day was only 72 and it was breezy.  Having recently purchased the C.G.R. 6wt, I decided to use that rod for the day.  I wanted something a little taller and a little more power but still be glass because as we all know, glass is not dead.  I fell in love with this rod.  Awesome!  I will do a product review on it soon but damn did it rock.  Anyways, having a lot of success with the Road Kill the previous night, I stuck with it and made my way to the water.  Some I learned after making my way more than halfway across the river was that it got deep very fast.  I ended up in a tricky situation and I felt very out of control.  I decided to make my way back to shore and take a break.  I am 6'4 and I had to walk on my tippy toes and hold my chest pack up just to keep my waders from filling up with water.  Given how clear the river is and the various rock ledges, the depth can be deceiving at times.  It might appear as though continuing on your current track will bring you up and out of harms way but that isn't always the case.  Sometimes we don't think about what we are doing as we are fishing.  i don't think I was ever in any real danger but I still didn't like it.  The rocks can be slippery and hard to navigate at times thus adding to the stress of being in very deep water.  Having safely reached shore, I took a much needed break and had a cigar.  I sat on the steps and took it all in.  What a beautiful area.  While surveying the river, I realized that I probably should have brought my never used float tube with me on the trip.  This area would have been perfect for it.  Oh well.  Next time.  Cigar smoked, I headed back into the water for some more fishing.  This time I stuck close to shore since the water wasn't as deep and light was fading fast.  I ended the day with 24 long ears and 5 smallies.  Another nice outing on the Shenandoah River.












No comments:

Post a Comment