Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Wright and McGill Sunrise Rod

One thing I really enjoy is discussing vintage fiberglass rods with other glass enthusiasts.  I regularly chat with a small group of people about listings on eBay and Craigslist or just what they have been using.  Its always nice to see what other people are collecting.  So, one of the guys I chat with on a regular basis had been looking for a Cortland rod in a specific length and weight.  I happened to also be looking for a Cortland FR 2000 8 foot 6/7.  As luck would have it, two Cortland rods popped up on eBay in a lot.  One of them was a 7 and 1/2 foot Pro Crest that I already had but the other one I was the Cortland FR 2000 I had been searching for.  While watching the lot, I had an epiphany. Why don't we split the lot?  Sounded like a great idea to me.  However, my friend one-upped me by offering a trade.  I would buy the lot of Cortlands and he would trade me a Wright and McGill Sunrise rod from the 50s with an original tube, sans end cap.  This rod listed for a whooping $14.95 in the 50s and is rated for 5/6 line.  It sounded like a great trade to me so I went ahead and purchased the lot of Cortland rods.  Upon receiving them, I shipped his Cortland out to him and he sent me the Wright and McGill.  I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the Sunrise once I got it.  At 7 and 1/2 feet this rod is the perfect length for most of the fishing that I do, be it cold or warm water.  The rod is tobacco in color and it has yellow and green wraps.  The tube itself is a little banged up but I am happy to have it since it is an original.  The rod shows minimal wear and the wraps are nice and tight.  My understanding is that it works well with a DT5 or a WF6.  I am really looking forward to fishing this for panfish and smallies in the future.  I am happy to add this guy to collection and I can't wait to put a bend in it.  Many thanks to my friend for coming up with the brilliant idea to trade rods.  Dig it!










2 comments:

  1. The Sunrise is one of the favorites in my collection. I think you'll enjoy it Jeff. If you need a catalog page let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Howard thanks so much. Im looking forward to using it. Such be a blast for the smallies and panfish I normally go after

      Delete