Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Houston.....we have an addiction!

Fly boxes.  A must have when fly fishing.  They have come along way since I started fly fishing 18 years ago.  They now come in all shapes, sizes, configurations, waterproof, not waterproof, plastic, wood, metal, expensive, cheap...well you get the idea.  I have always used boxes that have multiple compartments in them but without lids.  I always figured it made life easier to sort the flies and have access to them.  Plus they were and continue to be cheap.  A big plus in this household where the wife watches what I buy like a hawk watches a field mouse.  Always ready to pounce.  I do have three boxes with separate compartments in them with each one having a lid.  I like them but they aren't waterproof.

So two things happened in the past year that made me realize I might need to upgrade my fly boxes.  First was last September while I was at Harman's with Greg.  I tried to cross the stream and ended up going for a swim.  You might remember the post but if not you can read it here.  Every stinking fly became soaked.  Actually soaked would be a gross understatement.  I could and did literally pour water out of each box.  Many a fly hook rusted that day.  Second was at Harman's again, hey maybe there is a theme here, and I started noticing everyone else's fly boxes.  They were better and they were waterproof.   In fact Team New Jersey's own Paul commented on my boxes by saying "Oh I see you have the spill and cry boxes."  After looking at them, I realized he was right.  One slip of the hand, one missed step on a rock while the box is open,  one shiver and all those flies would hit the water.  They would be washed down stream and there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it.

Upon returning from Harman's I started buying fly boxes.  I may have gone a bit overboard though.  I only recently started changing out boxes and filling the new ones.  I actually have more boxes then I need now.  Just don't tell Melissa as I will get bitched at and she will insist she was right.  While I was buying them she kept saying "do you really need that many?"  Naturally I had to say YES!  So I went on a spending spree and bought many a box.  I bought boxes from Hatches Magazine, Cabelas, Scientific Anglers, and Umpqua. I made sure they were all waterproof.  I bought them all in various sizes and configurations so I can see what works and what doesn't.



With so many boxes, I naturally need more flies...........

10 comments:

  1. Nice boxes and flies. Remember, anything worth doing, is worth over-doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man can't have enough flies or fly boxes.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way I see it, we're either brothers from another mother or married to the same woman. I collect fly boxes like I used to collect tackle boxes and bags years ago. I tie almost every day and still can't get them all filled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a quite a few boxes. I've finally consolidated my collection to 3 boxes. One bass, one trout and one mix of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin,

      You are killing me....don't tell my wife that info! The more the merrier!

      Delete
  5. Nice looking boxes and flies, what pattern is that? I am now updating my boxes also after a spill in a river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale,

      The pattern shown is what is called a psycho nymph. It is a Prince Nymph with some radical colors.

      Delete