Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Monday, January 23, 2012

Bigger Gurglers with New Color Combos

At the request of a fellow blogger, I have tied up some bigger gurglers in some different color combos.  This blogger wanted gurglers in sizes 2 and 4.  I tie my gurglers on a TMC 200R hook and I couldn't find anything larger than a 4.  So I bought the 4s and some 6s as well.  The wife and I talked a lot about this.  For us, this is outside of our comfort zone.  We typically tie our warm water flies in sizes 8 and 10.  I have had a number of requests to tie poppers in sizes 4 and 6 but I have been hesitant to do so.  I recently bought some in that size and I am going to try making some in the near future.  Regarding our foam flies, we felt that this was a good opportunity to branch out size wise and try some new color combos.  I am always willing to try new color combos or do a special request.  It was fun for me and good to be back at the bench again.  So, here are the new color combos in size 4.  Please let me know what you all think.  I was trying to think of color combos that are largemouth favorites and are on lures that I used many years ago.









5 comments:

  1. Nice flies! What thickness of foam are you using and are you gluing the sheets together before tying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff,

      I am using 2mm foam I buy at Michaels. I got tired, really the wife did, of buying expensive "special" foam. I get pretty much every color I need or want at Michaels and the big sheets are like .79 or .99 cents. You can't beat that! And yes I glue the sheets together before I tie them.

      Delete
  2. Not being bass fisherman, those are different.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I think for big Largemouths a size 4 is almost a minimum size requirement. I can't wait to see some of your poppers in larger sizes.
    For the gurglers, I think a yellow belly with green foam back and legs would make a nice frog pattern. My other choices for color combos would be a white body with red legs or some combo of yellow and black.

    ReplyDelete