Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

BROOKIES!!!





I actually had off today because I worked on Saturday teaching a class.  Everyone was telling me to go fishing.  I couldn't decide what to do.  Should I venture out for trout or bass?  The weather was supposed to be in the mid 60s.  Given that it is the middle of November, I opted for trout.  Now with the species decided upon, the question was where to go.  Do I chase browns and rainbows at Morgan's Run or brookies at an undisclosed location in the mountains?  Brookies of course.

Species decided upon and a location determined, I set out.  I had a few errands to run so I didn't get to the stream until around 1230 or so.  I ended up only fished for a few hours.  For me that was enough.  It was so good to be out and on the water.  Seems like it has been forever since I managed to get out.  The weather was perfect, the scenery spot on and the fish were biting.  I managed to land 10 in almost two hours of fishing.  I lost a lot more than that though.  That was fine by me.  Fall was in full swing as the leaves were turning colors and falling from trees.  This of course meant that I had to battle them on the surface while throwing the dries.  As usual, I was using Humpies and Wulffs in red and gray.  They worked like a charm.  I love the brookies.  They are such beautiful fish.  I hit the big pool where I hooked a "big" brookie three times last year.  You can read about it here.  Anyways, I managed to land two out of that pool but not the big guy.  Oh well.  Overall it was a great day!
A decent pool where I could see the brookies stacked up and sippin' flies.  I have never seen them do that before.
Battling the leaves on the surface 
Big Pool where the big guy was last year 

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure there is anything more beautiful than fall time brookies. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, fishing calm water like that is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The brookie has to be one of the most beautiful trout out there, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job. There's nothing like fall brookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. It was tough to fish them but it always is. Because the water is so shallow and they are so skittish, I have to stalk them on my hands and knees. Good times though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet brookies, the second one has some size to him.

    P.S. Some advice I was once told is don't handle wild trout with dry hands or lay them on the ground or rocks. Tends to remove their proctive layer.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete