Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Saturday, March 26, 2011

This Morning

After sleeping in until 11, I decided it was finally time to get up and get moving.  I am not a morning person and my job demands that I work nights hence the sleeping in.  Of course it could have been the beer and cigars last night as well but whatever.  Anyways, the girls went to the grocery store and the boys stayed home.  I played some Wii with my son and he was thrilled.  Now it is time to tie.  I have been working on some new patterns which I hope to unveil in the coming weeks so stay tuned.  This morning there was nothing new or fancy about the tying.  More of a getting back to basics.  I have been tying up some Monocacy Bumble Bees.  This is a great little pattern I developed last year.  I almost had to beat the fish off with a stick from it.  The thing works great.  I tie them in size 10.  I know, I know it really isn't a true bee pattern.  Some people on fly tying forum gave me some crap cause I called it a bee.  It is yellow and black and it does have stripes.  I was looking to tie something that was easy and that resembles a bee somewhat.  It also had to be somewhat durable.  For those that have fished for smallies and panfish before you know what I mean.  You need something that will take a beating and keep right now ticking so to speak.  Thats why I went with the foam Monocacy Bumble Bee.

Well here is the tyng area and me hard at work.  A finished Monocacy Bumble Bee sits in the vice. 

I try and tie upstairs where I can be with the rest of the family.  My wife got me the Oasis tying bench for Christmas two years ago and I love it.  I do have a man cave that is downstairs, tucked away but I tend to use it only when I am trying to hide from everyone.  I have been trying to convince the wife to let me take over the spare bedroom upstairs and turn it into a fly tying/library/man cave.  She wants another child and I say two is plenty so hence the reason why I havent gotten it yet. 

Here is a teaser photo of what is coming up in a few weeks.  I got these from Stippled Popper.  I cant wait to tie up some of these bad boys.  Right now I am working on patterns and color combos for them in my pea little brain.

1 comment: