So it is rare for me to have a Thursday off but I did this week. I had planned to spend all day Thursday tying. In reality, I spent all day Thursday painting and only painting. Before I left, I had sealed 26 popper bodies. Nine of them are size 8 and seventeen of them are size 10. I am sending almost all of the size 10 bodies out for a swap I am in on fly tying forum. They will be what I call my Fish Foolin' Frog Popper. It is a great pattern and one that I have had a lot of success with over the last two or so years. A lot of time and work goes into making one of these. I put thread on the hook. I then put the body on the hook. Next comes the filling of the gap. There is always a gap underneath where the popper sits on the hook. This usually takes at least two days and two coats of Zap-A-Gap as well as sand paper. Then I seal it with four coats of Delta Ceramcoat Pre Sealer. Finally....time to paint. Each body gets four coats of green paint. Next comes the eyes. For this popper the eyes are done in black, yellow, black. Then the white is made around the mouth and underbelly. Yellow spots are added to the back and sides along with black spots. After everything dries, it is given four coats of Gloss Varnish also by Delta Ceramcoat. After sitting four at least 24 hours, feathers and such can be added.
Anyways, here is how I spent my Thursday: